Monday, October 22, 2012

Kid's Music I Can Actually Stand...

Let's face it, kids music has always been the bane of most adults' existence.  It's corny or irritating.  There's that question: why let them listen to that when they can listen to real music.

But they like it.

A LOT.

The development of music is like any other process in childhood development.  Children have to start with the fundamentals and they have to be able to relate to the music.  That doesn't mean they can't enjoy adult music, but they also love children's music.  Which unfortunately, can make a car ride unbearable.  Unless you find music you actually like!

Ok, ok, I know that's all relative.  If you read this post and you're not a parent, you'll probably think I'm insane for even using the word like.  But, it's not much different that the reality that when you become a parent, you actually enjoy the choo-choo train ride around the mall food court.  Go figure.

Still, I can't listen to just any kids music.  So, in my search for songs I could stand, I really did discover music that I enjoy.  Well, relatively speaking.  Hey, it's catchy.  And yes, you will find my husband and I randomly bursting out in song to "Willy Was A Whale."  I said it was catchy.  Anyways, here are a few artists I've come to enjoy.  But be careful...you might end up breaking out into song in the middle of the grocery store.  Oh, wait, I did that before I had kids...




I love this guy.  His music is funny.  The album shown here, At The Bottom Of The Sea, I bought in full, mostly for the Coffee Song.  However, I have gone and bought other songs from his other albums.  At The Bottom Of The Sea is still my favorite though and I highly recommend it!  His music is quite folky and upbeat, which I like.  He's also just silly which is great, too.



A member of the popular band, Eddie From Ohio, Robbie is a wonderful children's entertainer.  I only wish he had more kids CDs than just Songs For Kids Like Us.  This was the first album I discovered that my son and I both loved.  He wore us out on it.  I think we've listened to it a thousand times.  It's still great though!  Very folky as well.  He also has a wonderful music outreach organization called One Voice focused on promoting peace and cultural awareness among children through music and media.





So far I have purchased the album Yellow Bus, although I intend to explore more if I can stop my son from listening to the song Yellow Bus over and over and over and over and over (you see where I am going with this?).  My favorite song is Thought It Was A Monster, however.  To each his own.  Another folky and upbeat singer, I highly recommend you check out his albums?



I just love this CD and so does every kid I have ever met.  Unfortunately, it's not available on ITunes, but you can purchase the CD from Putamayo's site.  Once you've hear Banana Phone, you'll be hooked.  And there's a gorgeous rendition of You Are My Sunshine.  On that note, all of Putamayo's kids CDs are pretty wonderful.  I have a special love for Folk Playground and World Playground.


Those are my discoveries so far.  Anyone else have kids CDs they actually enjoy?  I'd love to find more!!


UPDATE (2/10/13):

Pandora's Children's Indie Station is changing my life!  I'm loving the music on this channel and it introduces me to all sorts of new artists. 

Love The Rhythm Train: Dick Van Dyke, the Chili Pepper's Chad Smith, Leslie Bixler, need I say more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment