Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Are Cell Phones Dangerous For Our Children?

A recent cell phone study, reported by CBS News, has found no link between long term cell phone use and brain cancer.  This study involved more than 350,000 people and is one of the most extensive ones done.  So...we can all breathe a little easier, especially if you are like me and have a hard time letting your IPhone leave your side.

But what about our kids?  A new study reported by Electromagnetic Health calls for new cell phone safety guidelines and expresses concern that we may be underestimating the amount of radiation being absorbed by children and small adults.  The current basis for cell phone safety verification is based on a large adult and does not take into account the affect of this radiation on smaller individuals.  Because of the concerns of the researchers, they suggest that using a cell phone away from the head is safer (i.e. using a headset).

As I went back and looked at the first study, I confirmed that it did not look at children at all.  The second study, on the other hand, did not look at long term health data from actual people.  So, while I know my husband is safe from his cell phone, I'm not so sure I am (as a small adult) and even less sure that my son is.  You might ask why I would be concerned about a cell phone and a 7 month old, but he loves my IPhone.  He particularly loves to chew on my IPhone and these studies make me realize I've been letting him chew on a radiated device!

Despite the lack of absolute confirmation that cell phones are dangerous for our kids, I'm thinking that restricting his access to my phone might be the safer route, or at least keep it away from his mouth and head.  Or direct him to the IPad.  If I had an older child, I might get him or her a headset and encourage that use.  So far, it appears that it becomes dangerous when it is directly near the head.

Hmm, another complication in my life-long relationship with technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment