Thursday, September 29, 2011

Mommy Doubt

Finally, I am back to blogging.  My high needs baby has made blogging a very hard task, but I am finally figuring it all out.  Well, sort of.

As six months have passed, I have moments of what I call extreme Mommy Doubt.  That moment when you wonder if you are doing it right.  Are your instincts right, are your decisions correct, are you doing the best for your child?  With a high needs infant, it seems even harder.  Every time I spend time around other mothers and children in a group (mom/infant yoga for example), I see all these babies that operate so much more easily than mine.  Babies that fall asleep on their own!  Stories about babies that wake up once a night, twice a night at most.  These are not my stories.  My stories you will hear, once again.  I am hoping that returning to the blog will help me sort out my mommy doubt.  I am hoping to hear stories from others who share my experiences.

I can say that when moments of Mommy Doubt arise, and they do many times, my son always helps me regain my confidence.  Because the truth is, he is who he is and he is different from other babies.  And that's okay.  It means my parenting choices may sometimes have to be different.  It means I can't always take the advice of others who had or have different children.  Convention has never been my strong suit anyway.  My barometer is that the decisions I make always reflect his needs and his interests.

So, here's to all the mommies who suffer from moments of Mommy Doubt.  The truth is, you know your child.  If your decisions are in his or her best interests, then you can't be going wrong.  You just have to be there for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment