Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Magic Of The Montessori Classroom



Working part time as the Parent Learning Coordinator for the Montessori school my son attends (twice a week) has been a wonderful experience.  It's helped me dive back into philosophy and work closely with parents in a way that always enriches my own parenting experience.  But, sometimes, I feel out of touch, I feel confused, or I feel thrown off by trying to make all the right choices, or decide if Montessori even has all the answers (or which answers I feel are most important).

Today, however, I was reminded of why I fell in love with Montessori.  I decided to spend a little time of my morning in the primary classrooms at the school.  As quiet as can be, I took my place in a little chair in part of the room to just sit and observe.  I let the peace wash over me.

If you've never sat in a Montessori classroom,  I highly recommend it.  It is magical.  Not because the children tend to be quieter, and not because the environment is in any way perfect.  It is magical because the children are free to follow their own intellectual and social desires.  I watched children plucking work off the shelf and quietly taking it to a table, quickly absorbing themselves in an activity.  I watched a child wash a chair with such effort and focus that it made me smile.  I watched another little boy get confused about his Triangle Box and begin looking for a way to solve his problem and figure out what to do next.  I watched other children looking to engage with friends, chatting, making funny faces, and laughing.  In a room full of activity, I felt calm.

If you have never sat and observed in a Montessori classroom, I recommend that you do.  If you are a Montessorian who has been out of the classroom for a while, I highly recommend a brief return.  For the former, I think it will amaze you, and for the latter, I know it will set your soul right.

My favorite thing about the Montessori classroom is that it is full of individuals.  Every child is so uniquely different, and here, you can really see it.  You can see it in their choices, their actions, and their desires.  The room goes in a million different directions because there are so many different ways to go.  It is a room full of possibilities.

What's your favorite thing about the Montessori classroom?


2 comments:

  1. Yes... It is indeed a magical experience observing children in a Montessori setting. I think it has to do with how well prepared the environment is and that appeals to the children bringing out the best in them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being absorbed by the magical surprises from the children as they find out ways to solve their problems. Nowadays my heart calls me to sit again in that environment that for sure 'set my soul right'

    ReplyDelete